Tuesday 20 March 2012

Blog 10: My Team Logo


Introduction

Hello all it has been another full on crazy week with deadlines, new briefs, etc. For this blog I will be showing some rough concepts for my sports team inspired by the Greek god Hercules along with all of the other research that has been covered in the blogs leading up to this one.

Sports Team

After a long time of consideration I have finally decided on my sport and the type of team I want to design a logo for. The logo that I will be designing is for the Australian Olympic Rugby Sevens team. 

At this point in time the team does not really exist but will be a team that will be building up more popularity and support in the lead up to the commonwealth games in 2014 and the Rio Olympic games in 2016. It may surprise some to know that Rugby Union has not been in the Olympics since 1924.

Concept one

Copyright 2012 Andrew Weegberg


After using a new method of brainstorming trialled in class I found my design going in another direction. In this concept I have focussed on using Hercules Shield as a way of framing the logo. 
Unfortunately the look of the shield has been lost and not many people would notice.

The design may look a little boring but does serve a practical purpose in the fact that it will be easy to reproduce on product like T-shirts (which is another consideration for this logo) I do believe that more work needs to be done on this concepts to develop it further to my usual high standard.

Concept Two

Copyright 2012 Andrew Weegberg 


Once again I have tried using the shield of Hercules to make the logo with no real success. In on of my other thumbnails I wanted to incorporate the Southern Cross or the Eureka flag in the logo with another shield shape. My only concern for doing this idea is that I could not come up with many solutions that did not look like the Melbourne Rebels logo which for those who don’t know in another Rugby Union team.

I like this concept better as the typography could be really strong. I do feel that more work is needed, as this is nowhere near resolved just yet.

Concept Three

Copyright 2012 Andrew Weegberg


For this concept is decided to try an incorporate an image of Hercules in the logo. I don’t want to make it known that it is Hercules in the logo instead I have drawn warrior and named the team the Warriors. 
This refers directly to Hercules, as he was a great warrior and seems appropriate for a team name, as most Australian animals have been taken to name other Olympic/ National sporting teams. 

Another reason behind the name is that Rugby is a fierce and competitive sport played against some big and somewhat scary nations. I thought it would be good to have a team could sound and eventually look scary.
The addition of the flag is something that would be good to have, as it is a very good source of national pride. This is something that can be removed or left if the concepts are developed further.

Possible typefaces

Headings

Dax Condensed
Fago Extended (Really like this typeface)
Eureka Sans
Kievit Two (Really Liked this typeface)
Meta Two
Signa
Celeste

Bodycopy

Meta Two
Celeste
Info Text
Rekord (would be good for a sub head)
Schulbush
Zine Serif

Possible Colours

The Picture below is a very rough and basic representation of what the colours in the logo could look like. I do apologise for the kiddy style colouring in but it was meant to be a very quick and rough representation. More consideration will take place once the final design has been developed and decided on,

Copyright 2012 Andrew Weegberg


Green and gold

As this is an Australian Olympic team the colours have sort have been chosen for me in previous Olympic games and other national sports such as the Rugby world cup the colours are always Green and Gold.
It is my intention to use these colours in a way that appears different to colour schemes in the past. The one major concern is to make sure it doesn’t look to similar to the South African Olympic teams as they too have the same colours with different variations.

Any feedback on any of these rough concepts would be greatly appreciated. Please remember these are very rough thumbnails that are still in the early stages of development.

Until next blog

Andrew Weegberg


1 comment:

  1. Both of them are very good. The first one clearly to show what you want to express. shield is a symbol of Hercules. You definitely need to further develop. The second one I am not too like it,because it's like the first one, and just half of it, like none finished. The texture do stronge, but still need to develop the frame, my personal opion. I like the third one most. It's the strongest, you have the image and fonts, not only typeface. Hercules show strong and tough to enemy, that are what rugby need. We can see the emotion of the Hercules. But still need something to fix, the details of Hercules, his hand and shield is not expressing well. fix that could be better.

    ReplyDelete